Thursday, January 22, 2015

D&D Rave: Five Minute DIY Healthy Antibacterial Lotion



The constant hand washing and Purell-ing during cold and flu season leave me with dry, cracked hands that not even the prettiest manicure can disguise - yikes!

My simple, healthy solution is to take my favorite organic moisturizing lotion, empty it into a glass bowl, and then add eucalyptus and lavender essential oils (from the pharmacy section of the health food store or available online at Amazon). Tea tree, eucalyptus, and lavender are natural essential oils touted for their potent anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. I mix the oils generously into the mixture to get the maximum benefit, but the mix can be customized for individual smell preferences and needs.  I also mix in a spoonful of organic coconut oil to make the mixture thicker and more moisturizing. The coconut oil addition can be skipped or done sparingly to make the lotion less oily.

Although the finished antibacterial lotion can be put in a mason jar or tub, I use a baby medicine dispenser to put the lotion back into the lotion bottle (assuming your bottle has a wider opening such as those found on pump bottles). Although viable, toting a mason jar around in my purse was awkward when I was on the go and wanted to sanitize my hands.

There are a few recipes on Pinterest which call for the addition of vitamin E oil to DIY all-natural moisturizing lotions. For me, the vitamin E oil caused my lotion to separate into layers and created a very oily finished product.  I was leaving handprints everywhere, including the leather seats in my car!

This lotion is a great organic option for keeping hands soft and germ free. 

Note: Organic coconut oil actually comes as a solid and is available in the cooking oil section of most grocery stores. No need to melt the solid coconut oil - just add it in solid form to the mixture. Travel lotion jars are also a great option for storing your lotion on the go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment